[darcs-users] Re: testing patches that change the test pref

Phil Frost indigo at bitglue.com
Wed Mar 23 15:55:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 03:46:04AM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On 2005-03-23, Phil Frost <indigo at bitglue.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am wondering what darcs does when testing patches which change the test pref.
> > I have such a patch here, and it seems to be failing because it is using the
> > test command prior to applying the patch. If I run 'darcs check --test' in a
> > repo with the patch already applied it passes.
> >
> > This in not the behaviour I'd expect, because it makes it impossible for many
> > patches that change the test framework to pass the tests. Is this a bug or a
> > feature?
>
> The basic issue here is that you had a testing preference that was broken.
> So of course it's always going to fail.
>
> Just use "--no-test" to record the patch that fixes it and move on.
>
> I think to change the current behavior would involve too much guessing
> about what is known to be broken and working about your repo.
>
>     Mark

No, the old testing preference works. The new testing preference works
too, with the patch that changes it applied. In other words, I have
patch P which changes my test program, and the test pref. The set of all
patches except P passes the tests. The set of all patches, including P,
passes. But all patches, including P, but not including the changed test
pref included in P does not pass.

I would expect that patches with a setpref test would use the new test
command when testing them. Because tests are atomic, testing the changes
without the change in the test pref is invalid, and in this case,
broken.