[darcs-users] Re: Darcs and a single developer working on multiple workstations

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Mar 23 17:47:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:45:20AM -0800, Steven E. Harris wrote:
> > darcs works over plain, dumb HTTP and also SSH (and probably FTP).
> > So what you'd do is put your main darcs repository up on your
> > FTP/HTTP site.
>
> I've been struggling with this same goal, and regret to note that it's
> just not this simple for anything but read-only tracking of a public
> "master" repository.
>
> In order to push changes back to this master repository, that
> repository must sit on a host that has darcs available. That poses a
> problem for those who have some public storage space between two
> disconnected workspaces (say, home, work, and an ISP in between), but
> do not have darcs available on that public host.

If you don't have darcs on that server and you've basically got a single-user
repository, how about some more conventional ideas...

Ask your hosting company to install darcs.  That's the root problem here.

Get a better virtual hosting company.  I can recommend pdxcolo.net if you're
not afraid to admin your own Linux machine.  $20/month for root access to
your very own server (uses user-mode Linux to accomplish this).  Then just
install darcs on it yourself.

Put your repo on a USB key or other easily sneakered fast read/write media
and simply carry it to and from work.  $50 for half a gig.

Treat your home repo as the master.  Work on the home repo normally.
Before you leave for work, rsync/upload the home repo to the public host (use
a cron job else you're going to forget).  From work, darcs get the repo from
the public host and work normally.  Record your changes normally.  Use
darcs send to email the changes to an address you can access from home.  Go
home.  Get the patches from your email and integrate.

If your hosting company provides another version control system such as
Subversion you might be able to set up a 2-way mirror using Tailor or even
mirror using a different system such as SVK.