[darcs-users] Re: Darcs and a single developer working on multiple workstations

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy at hinegardner.org
Wed Mar 23 18:01:27 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:45:20AM -0800, Steven E. Harris wrote:
> Michael G Schwern <schwern at pobox.com> writes:
>
> > darcs works over plain, dumb HTTP and also SSH (and probably FTP).
> > So what you'd do is put your main darcs repository up on your
> > FTP/HTTP site.
>
> I've been struggling with this same goal, and regret to note that it's
> just not this simple for anything but read-only tracking of a public
> "master" repository.
>
> In order to push changes back to this master repository, that
> repository must sit on a host that has darcs available. That poses a
> problem for those who have some public storage space between two
> disconnected workspaces (say, home, work, and an ISP in between), but
> do not have darcs available on that public host.

wouldn't 'darcs send' work well for this?  I have never used it
personally so someone correct me if I am wrong.  I'm imagining this
scenario, and this is all complete conjecture.

    home: darcs master repository, darcs, incoming email
    work: darcs working repository, darcs, outgoing email
    ISP : darcs master read-only repository, no darcs, webserver

The process would be something like this:

    home -> ISP : sync the home master repositor to an ISP read-only
                  repository via rscync/scp/ftp/other periodically.
                  Here's where a post-record trigger would be nice

    ISP -> work : darcs pull

    work -> home: darcs send --to=home-email-address
                  - on the home side, procmail pics up the sent patch
                    bundle and feeds it to some script.
                  - the script applies the patch to the home darcs
                    repository, and then ISP repository with the home
                    repository.

Its a bit convoluted but it might work.

enjoy,

-jeremy