[darcs-users] Re: Darcs and a single developer working on multiple workstations

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at iki.fi
Wed Mar 23 20:42:07 UTC 2005

On 2005-03-23, Daan Leijen <daan at cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> I think it would be a great selling point if darcs could push/pull to
> any ssh accessible
> site even when darcs is not installed. It is surely possible, here is a
> slow but working
> algorithm:
>
> 1) lock and scp the entire repo from the server to the client
> 2) do darcs push locally
> 3) scp everything back and unlock

I don't think this kind of thing belongs in darcs, but it should be doable
with a small helper program to craete and remove _darcs/lock, that would be
required on the remote server in any case. The procedure then is to

1. lock the remote repo by running the kludge via ssh
2. rsync remote locally
3. push locally
4. rsync local back to remote
5. unlock remote repo by running the kludge via ssh.

In step 4. we should really check that we created the lock. Maybe rsync could
be wrapped somehow..., and we wouldn't infact need to run the script
separately...

Obviously plain scp works in place of rsync as well, but rsync might be
more efficient.

--
Tuomo