[darcs-users] Re: Darcs and a single developer working on multiple workstations

Steven E. Harris seh at panix.com
Wed Mar 23 23:07:17 UTC 2005

Michael G Schwern <schwern at pobox.com> writes:

> If you don't have darcs on that server and you've basically got a
> single-user repository,

Right, single-user for now.

> Ask your hosting company to install darcs.  That's the root problem
> here.

And they probably will install it, being Panix. I've been reluctant to
ask because darcs is still very much in flux. But that wasn't why I
wrote. Sure, /I/ can probably side-step this problem, but many other
darcs users are seduced by the claims that it's all so simple to set
up and start swapping changes.

> Get a better virtual hosting company.

Panix is already a local maximum. That's not my problem.

> Then just install darcs on it yourself.

I can do that too, but as I have done with BitKeeper in the past.

> Treat your home repo as the master.

[...]

Yes, right now I use rsync to mirror various bundles of stuff between
home and work, such as all my Gnus and XEmacs configuration files,
using my ISP as the middleman. Unison would work too; the last time I
experimented with it, we had some version mismatch problems that made
me put off using it for the third time now.

As I'm already used to this technique, it's still more alluring than
the darcs-related proposals, because it has perfect symmetry. The
proposed darcs technique requires one to remember asymmetrically
whether to apply/pull/push/rsync/ or pull/send.

> Use darcs send to email the changes to an address you can access
> from home.  Go home.  Get the patches from your email and integrate.

I need to try `darcs send' again. That it invokes MAPI on Windows is
very annoying.

--
Steven E. Harris