[darcs-users] Re: Darcs and a single developer working on multiple workstations

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Thu Mar 24 01:32:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 01:04:24AM +0000, Aaron Denney wrote:
> On 2005-03-23, Steven E. Harris <seh at panix.com> wrote:
> > I need to try `darcs send' again. That it invokes MAPI on Windows is
> > very annoying.
>
> What else should it do?  Be it's own SMTP client?  It's not like it does
> that on Unix; instead it just invokes /usr/sbin/sendmail.

Why not be your own SMTP client?  Got to be a Haskell library lying around
somewhere for it (says the non-Haskell programmer).

Here's one.
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2003-December/001576.html

>From a compatibility standpoint breaking dependencies on external programs
is the best way to go.  Its not too hard to think of a scenario where
sendmail isn't going to be available.  What if the machine is running
qmail which has no sendmail compatibility wrapper?  Its nice to have a
native fallback.  SMTP is relatively straightforward.

The only other external dependencies I see are diff and libcurl.  HTTP GET
is another one that's fairly straightforward and there's got to be a
Haskell library floating around to do it.

Here's one.
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/warrickg/haskell/http/

Certainly not a priority to break these external dependencies, but certainly
quite possible.

I'm a Perl programmer.  I'm spoiled by CPAN and having gobs of libraries
to do almost anything available. :)