[darcs-users] Re: Darcs and a single developer working on multiple workstations

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Mar 29 20:36:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 08:36:48AM -0800, Steven E. Harris wrote:
> Aaron Denney <wnoise at ofb.net> writes:
> > Calling sendmail (whether it's implemented via qmail, postfix, or
> > exim, it's the standard interface) gets us all of that and more, for
> > free.
>
> I agree, and, given that I have exim -- perfectly capable on
> impersonating sendmail -- running on localhost, I'd like darcs to use it.
>
> The root cause may be this: I'm using Cygwin, but darcs doesn't know
> about that, and it assumes that sendmail couldn't possibly be available
> within Windows: MAPI or bust. It would be nice to have more options --
> system-wide, or maybe just per-repository -- to govern what e-mail
> facilities darcs tries to use.

The trouble is that I don't know any decent way to look for
/usr/sbin/sendmail (or /usr/lib/sendmail, or whatever it's called) at
runtime in a safe and effective manner.  So the path to sendmail is fixed
at configure time.

I don't recall what darcs does if at configure time both sendmail and MAPI
are available.  I don't imagine it would be hard to fall back on sendmail
if MAPI fails, or vice versa.
--
David Roundy