[darcs-users] how to handle moving code around

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Wed Mar 30 06:39:41 UTC 2005

Michael G Schwern <schwern at pobox.com> writes:

> The advantage of doing the mv, assuming the vast majority of A will be
> moved to B, is that the change history of A inherited by B.  So when you,
> for example, do a "darcs changes" or "darcs annotate" on B you will get
> all the history of that code including the time it was in file A.

Maybe darcs cp?  I know I occasionally want darcs cp when I'm refactoring a
file into two pieces.

> By simply cutting and pasting the code you create a historical discontinuty
> where the history of the code in B only goes back to the point of the move
> at which point if you want to look back further you have to start poking
> through A's history.

Yeah, that's why I occasionally want darcs cp.
--
Programming is the Magic Executable Fridge Poetry, | www.ScannedInAvian.com
It is machines made of thought, fueled by ideas.   | -- Shae Matijs Erisson