[darcs-users] Re: an interface for splitting hunks (was: Re: the readability of darcs native change format)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Wed Mar 30 14:58:23 UTC 2005

On 2005-03-30, Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> I think it sounds interesting.  But I don't think the breaks
> should be removed on recording.

If we keep them, it means we have to store them which I think means
an incompatible respository format change. I'd rather avoid that.

> Hmm, but what if I want to record a line that looks like a
> break line?  Well, breaks could be treated as hunks too,
> just that they don't "lump together" with other lines.
> (If they _are_ selected they should maybe be joined in the
> resulting patch though.)  It will also make for easy removal
> of breaks with revert.  And the break regexp could even
> be user-supplied to facilitate the programming language
> in question, like '^};?$' for C or '^[^ ]' for Haskell.
> Then it would not even have to be a "special" line.

Right, the token could be user specified regex, to make it highly
unlikely it would exist in a normal document. Perhaps there could be an
option to escape it if it really needed to exist.

    Mark