[darcs-users] an interface for splitting hunks

Quag quaggy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 20:30:26 UTC 2005

Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com> writes:
> On 2005-03-28, Ketil Malde <ketil.malde at bccs.uib.no> wrote:
>> Would it be a good heuristic to try to break hunks at empty lines?
> I would say "no" for the average case. I think it's common to add 10 or
> 20 more contiguous lines, for those to have some spaces in them, which
> don't separate intuitive hunks.

How about trying a different approach. It strikes me that as the hunk
splitter interface in darcs record becomes more complex it will start
to take on the features of a general purpose text editor.

So instead of trying to pick the hunks apart while recording, how
about inserting in Hunk Markers with your favorite text editor before
recording. The Hunk Markers would be automatically stripped out during
the record so they wouldn't appear in the patch itself.

Alternativly, if you still want the hunk marking to occur during a
record, activating the "split hunk" command could open the hunk in the
$EDITOR and let the user insert the hunk markers then and there.

Jonathan.