[darcs-users] Re: .darcs is portable

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Thu Mar 31 00:09:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:42:47PM +0000, Csaba Henk wrote:
> I as darcs doens't use one external collection of the repos rather does
> everything in place, the only indicator of the presence of darcs control
> are the metadata files/dirs. If you make them hidden, you hide a
> precious information. It seems to me that .darcs would just obfuscate
> things.

I discussed my reasoning here.
http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2005-March/006259.html

To sum up...

* I've never forgotten that a directory is under version control, so I don't
  think having "_darcs" in the file listing to remind me is a real use case.

* There are times when I want to hide that someone is under version control,
  such as checking out straight into production.

* I'm aware there's a high probability that this is a "yuck" factor, that
  I'm used to repositories hiding their meta directories.  So I'm not
  yet convinced .darcs is really any better than _darcs.

* There's few user servicable parts inside _darcs.  Its not the sort of
  thing you're going to be editing every day.