[darcs-users] Re: .darcs is portable

Csaba Henk dzsekijo at creo.hu
Thu Mar 31 03:25:07 UTC 2005

On 2005-03-31, Michael G Schwern <schwern at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:42:47PM +0000, Csaba Henk wrote:
>> I as darcs doens't use one external collection of the repos rather does
>> everything in place, the only indicator of the presence of darcs control
>> are the metadata files/dirs. If you make them hidden, you hide a
>> precious information. It seems to me that .darcs would just obfuscate
>> things.
>
> I discussed my reasoning here.
> http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2005-March/006259.html

Yeah I have bet that you exposed your point already somewhere within
"SchwernLikesDarcs SchwernHatesDarcs" thread, it just grew too big to cope
with it. Thanks for your patience for summing it up again.

> * I've never forgotten that a directory is under version control, so I don't
>   think having "_darcs" in the file listing to remind me is a real use case.

Your mileage may vary. I can imagine that if there are multiple versions
(copies) of the dir, then I'd get confused. Also that I remember wanting
to put a dir under version control, but then I forget actually doing
so... Well, it's really up to one's character.

> * There are times when I want to hide that someone is under version control,
>   such as checking out straight into production.

Funny that I had just the opposite in my mind... Namely, if I stumble
upon a random source dir put out to the web, it's good to see
immediately if its guarded by darcs, and that I have better tools to
check it out than wget -r -np.

OK I see the point. It's really a matter of personal preference. Maybe
making .darcs useable too would be fine...

Csaba