[darcs-users] Re: bookmarks

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Mar 31 08:43:31 UTC 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 10:01, Csaba Henk wrote:
> > I wrote a long post where I talked about this sort of thing.  IMO, this
> > really is something that doesn't need to be in darcs because it is a
> > knowledge problem more than a source control problem.
>
> Hm. The interface of darcs is a problem of darcs itself, imho. Not the
> central problem, but an inevitable one (just like with any piece of
> software).

the problem you have that you don't quite remember the URL of the remote
data is much like you having to know the filename of your sourcefile before
you can open it in your text-editor or the url of a remote website before
you can see it in your browser.
In both cases its not a part of the interface at all; its a location you
have to know to make use of.

I put a browser in my example on purpose; since in a browser the problem of
remembering sometimes arcane URLs is quite real.  You have to be aware,
however, that creating a bookmark system should be avoided in core.  Many
browsers have a separate application to manage bookmarks.
The management of your remove locations can be managed in many ways; and I
can argue that bookmarks are just about the worst way possible.

> If there are many ways to do something, then it's better to postpone the
> impementation and fixing the design as much as it's possible or until it
> becomes crystal clear what's _the_ right thing.
As with all things that manage data that you _could_ also store in your
head, the best solution is very personal.  Everyone has a slightly
different way that he can manage this information best.
I simply have one url that I have to remember:
namlook:/var/www/archives/projectName

You can do a
	ssh user at host ls projects*
to find out what repo it is you are looking for.

You can also write a little user-interface to make a list of this and you
can select it for you.
I'm pretty sure that if you have that you will like it a lot more then you
like a bookmarking facility.

As I said; managing knowledge is so personal that it warrents a seperate
application in most cases.  I'd like to keep darcs small and keep it doing
what it does best without endless usability feature-requests for a part
that it does not really need to work.

Hope this helps you clarify the problem domain.
--
Thomas Zander