[darcs-users] Frustrations diffing against the last change to a file

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Thu Mar 31 10:53:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> > > * The lack of simple revision numbers really complicates what would be a
> > >   very simple task in most other version control systems.
> >
> > Is adding complicated revision numbers to the darcs just for helping with
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> How did the revision numbers become complicated?

I mean complicated for implementation if they are not intended to confuse
user, or will you find enough comfortable for example UUID-based patch
numbers? E.g. ee38bc4f-fa0b-4b09-a026-8f17e626a0c7.
But I'm just poor darcs newbie so I'm probably not in the position to
judge this.

> One thing the annotate discussion has revealed, its not easy to stick a
> number on each change in darcs.

Yes, that's what I mean by complicated implementation above, except if you
tolerate something like UUID or SHA1 of patch itself.

> > > * "fancy dates" such as "last month" and "last year" should work if
> > >   not-so-fancy dates like "last week" work.
> >
> > IIRC there is a ticket in darcs bug db asking for writting more advanced
> > fancy date parser.
>
> Can't find one.

http://bugs.darcs.net//Ticket/Display.html?id=34

Cheers,