[darcs-users] Re: bookmarks

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Thu Mar 31 12:48:06 UTC 2005

Csaba Henk wrote:
> On 2005-03-31, Max Battcher <me at worldmaker.net> wrote:
>
>>Csaba Henk wrote:
>>
>>>So, what do you think of supporting a lightweight, non-constraining form
>>>of archive registry, namely bookmarks?
>>
>>I wrote a long post where I talked about this sort of thing.  IMO, this
>>really is something that doesn't need to be in darcs because it is a
>>knowledge problem more than a source control problem.
>
> Hm. The interface of darcs is a problem of darcs itself, imho. Not the
> central problem, but an inevitable one (just like with any piece of
> software).

A bookmarks system would only clutter darcs' interface in my opinion.  I
don't see it as a necessity to the basic interface.

Again, this isn't a source control problem.  It might be a source
control problem if you tried to make your bookmarks themselves source
controlled and accessible across a project, but that would make things
even more needlessly complicated.

> If there are many ways to do something, then it's better to postpone the
> impementation and fixing the design as much as it's possible or until it
> becomes crystal clear what's _the_ right thing.

If you are sitting around for the best way to do something you could be
sitting around for a long time.

> However, when I say, "implement bookmarks", it should be quite
> straightforward what I mean, and how that look like, without much
> ambiguities, without making design a problem.

Like I said, this pretty highly depends on your workflow and the
repositories you deal with on a day-to-day basis.  Some people are going
to be happy with a simple text file they can open if they forget a path.
  Others might like stick-notes on their deask.  Someone else might use
a fake protocol backed by scripts of their own.

As straightforward as your proposal seems, it still is an intrusion into
people's choice and workflow, and IMHO, adds needless complexity to
darcs' interface.

http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2005-March/006378.html

--
--Max Battcher--