[darcs-users] Frustrations diffing against the last change to a file

zooko zooko at yumyum.zooko.com
Thu Mar 31 15:48:40 UTC 2005

> Ehm; this has been explained before, plus that if you grok darcs you
> wouldn't ask this..
> Darcs works without version numbers since there is no ordering in the
> revisions resorting is no problem, later inserting one is also not a
> problem.  Hence; any numbering scheme usable for humans will be a
> complicated thing that will only cause inconsistencies and annoyance.

Not true in practice.  The tailorized version numbers that I mentioned in my
previous note sometimes get out-of-order because I import SVN-originated patches
in different order.  Doesn't bother me.

In fact, it is useful as a hint to what order they originated in.  (I don't
casually read the timestamp -- I only read the timestamp when I really need to
figure out something about the origination.  It is too much mental work to parse
the timestamp to do it casually.)

Regards,

Zooko