[darcs-users] Frustrations diffing against the last change to a file

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Thu Mar 31 22:03:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:53:12PM +0200, Karel Gardas wrote:
> > > Is adding complicated revision numbers to the darcs just for helping with
> >
> > How did the revision numbers become complicated?
>
> I mean complicated for implementation if they are not intended to confuse
> user, or will you find enough comfortable for example UUID-based patch
> numbers? E.g. ee38bc4f-fa0b-4b09-a026-8f17e626a0c7.
> But I'm just poor darcs newbie so I'm probably not in the position to
> judge this.

Ahh.  I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear.  I was just observing that IF
darcs could have a simple number attached to each patch THEN it would make
life a lot easier.  I realize its not simple (if even possible) to do but it
shouldn't hurt to make the observation.

I just got confused when the conversation translated into complicated
revision numbers.

A UUID-based patch number is useful for certain situations because it is
at least unique whereas the patch name is not.  However its still too long
and too much to try and remember which means you're back to cut & paste.
Its also too long to attach to each line of a good annotate format.

Something I mentioned in the annotate discussion was PIP date format.
A 7 digit base-64 encoded date representation format.  For example,
Thu Mar 31 13:49:51:07 2005 can be represented as 53VDnp7.

	5	year			5 + 2000 == 2005
	3	month			3 == March
	V	month day		V == 31
	D	hours			D == 13
	n	minutes			n == 49
	p	seconds			p == 51
	7	microseconds		7 == 7

Microsecond accurate dates from 2000 to 2063 in 7 digits, and human readable
to boot (well... you have to learn to read base64).

Its still too long and too complicated but its less complicated than an
MD5sum.  Its moving in the right direction.

> > > IIRC there is a ticket in darcs bug db asking for writting more advanced
> > > fancy date parser.
> >
> > Can't find one.
>
> http://bugs.darcs.net//Ticket/Display.html?id=34

Thanks.  I've tossed in my notes.