[darcs-users] Re: .darcs is portable

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Thu Mar 31 23:54:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:28:20PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> It's my understanding that CVS is still used much more widely than CVS.
> Isn't CVS what SourceForge is using? So why not model CVS instead? Or
> Arch?

Because as pointed out, CVS got a LOT of things wrong.  And SourceForge got
a lot of things wrong. :)  And standardization is nice and all, but its only
one thing to consider.  All choices being basically equal, standardization
can tip the scale.

Anyhow, I think I've logic'd myself into the _darcs camp though other routes.

> Schwern also brought up, but excluded from his summary, that there are
> portability problems with ".darcs" on VMS.

I don't think there's Haskell compiler under VMS so this is sort of
"long term".