[darcs-users] Frustrations diffing against the last change to a file

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:31:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 01:02:28PM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Ehm; this has been explained before, plus that if you grok darcs you
> wouldn't ask this..
> Darcs works without version numbers since there is no ordering in the
> revisions resorting is no problem, later inserting one is also not a
> problem.  Hence; any numbering scheme usable for humans will be a
> complicated thing that will only cause inconsistencies and annoyance.

Perhaps for most uses it would suffice to
- name repositories
- create a script that will find the next version number not used
  in this repository
- configure darcs to include such a version number (repo name + patch
  number) in the patch name

Actually, it can be done with current darcs. Users would have to
use some shell script instead of invoking 'darcs record' directly.

I have no time to go in the details, but I could prepare a
proof-of-concept example it someone's interested.

Best regards
Tomasz