[darcs-users] Branch names?

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at digitaldistribution.com
Sun May 1 20:41:10 UTC 2005

Max Battcher wrote:

>> I was hoping that someone could clarify why Monotone needs those
>> branch names and how Darcs manages to circumvent that need.
>
> Partly Darcs just assumes that a URL is going to be human readable
> enough to describe a branch equally well for both people and itself.
>
> Isn't
>
> http://project.sourceforge.net/repos/stable
>
> Just as easy to figure out as
>
> net.sourceforge.project.stable
>
> ?

Love it!  As a matter of fact, I think the URL is a heck of a lot more
readable than "net.sf...". The other one would only make sense to a Java
programmer. I'm not a Java programmer and I don't wanna be :-)

One point for Darcs!

> ...and the clear benefit is that the URL doesn't need any conversion
> utility (it uses the standard protocols and DNS resolution of the
> Internet).

Neat. I didn't think of that.

What I love about Darcs is it just seems to make things easy. The
commands are simple, they aren't verbose, the server can be anything
(HTTP, FTP, SSH, NFS, local).

Love it.

Cheers,
Daniel.