[darcs-users] Re: [Haskell-cafe] fptools in darcs now available

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Mon May 2 15:31:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 02:44:17PM +0200, Albert Reiner wrote:
> ["Nimrod A. Abing" <nimrod.abing at gmail.com>, Mon, 2 May 2005 06:01:27 +0000]:
> > 6. No need to wrap your brain around "branches". If you want to make
> > some radical changes to a stable repository, tag your stable
> > repository, do a darcs get to a different directory, make your
> > changes, test them, go crazy. If all goes well, create a patch bundle
> > and apply it to your stable tree.
>
> What is the tag here good for?  I have been using darcs in pretty much
> that way, but I never even thought about using `darcs tag` and have
> never missed it.
>
> Is there any downside to not tagging?

One benefit I see is if you want the branch to be a partial
repo and do 'darcs tag --checkpoint', but that's all I can
think of.

I usually tag the _branch_ with BEGIN before I hack away.
Then it's easy to se the total work with --from-tag BEGIN,
and it protects me from accidently amending any "old" patches.
But I don't pull that tag anywhere else.