[darcs-users] Re: Branch names?

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon May 2 16:51:51 UTC 2005

>> Monotone is simpler in another; in monotone you never have to worry
>> about who hosts information,

> But if you're expected to use the host's URL as the branch name,
> you're still in thesame boat. The Monotone naming convention
> introduces redundancy.

Yes, and the redundancy is good.

Right now, my branch of Darcs is called

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/repos/darcs-git

I'm publicising this name, and asking people to pull from there.

If at some point in the future I'm fired from Jussieu, my branch will
probably move to somewhere on darcs.net, or perhaps somewhere else.
At that point, there will be nothing to tell people that this is the
same branch as the one formerly known as www.p.j.fr...

With Arch and Monotone, there's an additional layer of indirection:
there's the archive name that maps to a given location.  It is
possible to physically move an archive while keeping around the fact
that it is ``the same branch''.

Is the complexity due to this extra layer of indirection worth this
benefit?  My personal opinion is that since we don't seem to receive
complaints from our users asking for the additional indirection,
there's no need to add it.

                                        Juliusz