[darcs-users] Re: declarative vs. imperative policy (was: Re: Branch names?)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon May 2 18:49:18 UTC 2005

 <zooko <at> zooko.com> writes:
> > I guess Graydon Hoare, the original designer of Monotone, has a thorough
> > background in functional programming languages as well as imperative ones.
>
> This was unclear because of the "I guess" at the beginning.  I'm stating as
> fact that Graydon had such background before he designed Monotone.  I knew him
> and I helped him a little bit with Monotone in 2003 and 2004.

Yeah; FWIW, I believe that there was an early version of monotone in OCaml, and
I know that graydon's criteria for choosing C++ were: of the pragmatic
languages (defined somehow, ask him if you want to argue about the definition
:-)), which has the most powerful static type system?  He writes unusual C++ in
some respects.

-- Nathaniel