[darcs-users] distinguish uncolored escapes

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Tue May 3 13:20:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:41:46AM -0700, Micah Stetson wrote:
> > which makes non-colored escapes easier to distinguish.
> >
> > I want to ask what other darcs users think.  If someone have
> > a better idea?
>
> I typically run in a terminal without color (or cursor addressing, for
> that matter).  The escapes have confused me a couple of times already.
>  I think marking them inline would be OK, but I'd rather see a visual
> flag at the beginning or end of a line that has escapes telling me
> that it was escaped.  Perhaps someting like this:
>
> hunk foo.txt 41
> +   $ [!ESCAPED!]
>
> or just
>
> hunk foo.txt 40
> +!   $
>
> If not that, maybe just always using the escapes, whether or not
> they're needed, then there wouldn't be any surprises.
>
> Just my two cents,

The only cents I got...  :-)

I like the idea to put [!ESCAPED!] at the end of all escaped
lines in no-color mode.  I tried it a bit and it looks
very nice.  However, it is hard to get right all the way.
It requires a minor redesign of how escaping is carried out.

So I went with my (very easy to implement) original idea, which
you said you thought was OK and no one on the list has opposed.

I think it will be sufficient.