[darcs-users] pulling across unrelated repos

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri May 6 12:09:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 02:45:09PM +0300, Jani Monoses wrote:
> Hello
>
> is there a way - besides being careful ;) - of preventing darcs to pull
> between two completely unrelated repos?
>
> Do I understand right that since repos can evolve in time by patches being
> deleted from them, there is no guarrantee that two repos can decide if they
> share a common ancestry by looking at the inventories?
>
> I used command line history in the shell and the last darcs pull -v had an
> URL pertaining to another object. If it had an -a on the commandline and
> had I pressed return it might have polluted the repo I was currently in :)

This auto detection is certainly needed in one way or another; if nothing else
then to give a warning to the user that something fishy might be going on.
Some things like less then 5% of the patches in each repository being shared
could be a simple trick to avoid a long wait, or worse.

Basically; what I'd like to see is this:
on darcs push -a the diff being done between the local and remote patches-list
should detect tell-tale signs of 'too many differences'.
When that is detected the user should be asked if he really wants to procede
with a prompt like this:
    updating repo 'foo at bar/repo'.
    warning; all 1040 patches need to be pushed to a repo already containing
    300 patches are you sure this is what you want?

ps. a summary after a darcs (push|pull) -a of work done would also be really
usefull!

Should I file a bugreport on these issues?  Or do others have better ideas?
--
Thomas Zander