[darcs-users] Cross-platform darcs repositories?

Nimrod A. Abing nimrod.abing at gmail.com
Sun May 8 07:17:08 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

Lately I have been dual booting between Win2k and Linux a lot, so I
decided that to maximize my productivity I would setup a darcs
repository on a FAT32 partition that would be accessible under both
Win2k and Linux. Everything seems to work as expected on both
platforms except I get the following message from time to time:

Fail: bug in darcs!
problem 2 in external_resolution
Please report this to bugs at darcs.net,
If possible include the output of 'darcs --exact-version'.

I have traced the cause to be this:

1. Do a darcs record from Win2k.
2. Switch to Linux and do a darcs pull from the repo in the FAT32 partition.

Same messages for darcs send --output=latest.patch then darcs apply
latest.patch.
Same messages for darcs push (pushing from the FAT32 repository to
another repository also on FAT32 partition).

I have read from somewhere in the list archives that the cause of this
error message is repository corruption. If I do a darcs check under
Win2k there are no errors, though I haven't tried to do a darcs check
under Linux on the repo in the FAT32 partition.

I am guessing that this is a line endings issue (CRLF vs LF). Isn't
darcs supposed to use the same format for its repository data across
all platforms?

My version is darcs 1.0.2 on both Win2k and Linux.
--
_nimrod_a_abing_

v1sw5CPJYUhw5ln3pr8OUSck6ma8u7LBw3DWNTm5g/l7DaIs7Rr4e6t5Xb4Op1en3g5RZAHC