[darcs-users] Re: Branch names?

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon May 9 20:45:48 UTC 2005

>> I might be misunderstanding, but there still is some mapping between a
>> branch name and ``where to find data for this branch''.

>> The fact that you see none implies that the Monotone developers have
>> been surprisingly successful at hiding this mapping.  I guess it's
>> time to look at Monotone again and steal some of their ideas ;-)

> I'm not sure what you mean here.  There is social convention
> ("venge.net:5253 is the server everyone working on branch
> net.venge.monotone generally uses"), but no more.

So when you work on branch net.venge.monotone, you use server
venge.net:5253, right?  You're mapping that branch to this server.

The fact that you do the mapping manually (``social convention'')
rather than having automated tools to do it is pretty much irrelevant.

> I think I might have mentioned already how that server was down for
> a week, and it didn't affect us at all?

Yes, and what that probably means is that the Monotone model is
sufficiently well designed to allow you to change the mapping between
branches and ``canonical'' servers without major disruption.

                                        Juliusz