what does sysctl do? [was: Re: [darcs-users] OT: Anybody got GHC compiled on Solaris/x86 or even darcs itself?]

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Wed May 11 19:11:13 UTC 2005

Hello,

before Sun comes with proper project Janus, I've tried old lxrun project
to run linux i386 binary on Solaris/x86. I've liked darcs-1.0.3rc1
staticaly so I don't need to deal with linux libraries at all, but
unfortunately lxrun seems to be _very_ old and does not emulate all the
needed syscalls, at least lxrun complains about unimplemented sysctl
syscall:

-bash-3.00$ ~/bin/lxrun ~/bin/darcs.linux what -s
/home/karel/bin/lxrun: warning: *** UNIMPLEMENTED syscall sysctl called ***
M ./include/mico/security/sl3tcpip_impl.h +3
M ./include/mico/security/transportsecurity_impl.h -1 +28
M ./orb/poa_impl.cc +65
M ./orb/security/sl3tcpip_impl.cc +7
M ./orb/security/transportsecurity_impl.cc -2 +41
-bash-3.00$

My question is: is usage of sysctl that critical that I shouldn't use
such darcs at all? What exactly does usage of sysctl in darcs? What
functionality is by this missing emulation affected?

Thanks!
Karel