[darcs-users] Re: what does sysctl do?

Bennett Todd bet at rahul.net
Wed May 11 19:54:52 UTC 2005

2005-05-11T19:29:38 Florian Weimer:
> Have you linked *everything* statically, including libc?  You
> shouldn't do this.

Why not? Unlike libc APIs, the syscall APIs that various libcs use
are nice and stable. I've been completely statically linking
everything in my linux distro, and like the results greatly, faster
and very portable.

> (My copy of darcs doesn't invoke sysctl.)

The statically linked darcs from carpetcode calls _sysctl at
startup, apparently to get the kernel version:

_sysctl({{CTL_KERN, KERN_VERSION}, 2, 0xbfffecb0, 31, (nil), 0}) = 0

-Bennett