[darcs-users] Re: Cannot checkpoint after conversion from CVS?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed May 18 10:53:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 12:39:22PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * David Roundy:
>
> > On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 01:20:39AM -0400, James Bruce wrote:
> >> Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but checkpoints don't seem to speed
> >> up this repository much (not sure why).  I will keep it around as a
> >> periodic benchmark to see how much better things get with new darcs
> >> releases.  There seems to be a lot of exciting work in improving darcs'
> >> efficiency, so I'll do what I can to test it.
> >
> > Checkpoints don't speed up darcs, except for darcs get --partial.  Any
> > other operation will be unaffected by the checkpoint.
>
> Well, there's a chance that the inventories/*.gz files are in some
> proxy cache.
>
> In any case, downloading the whole history on each pull doesn't look
> like a great idea to me.  Maybe zsync could make things go faster?
> zsync wouldn't require much cooperation from darcs (just an
> uncompressed inventory and a .zsync file), more efficient schemes
> would need keeping track of inventory checksums for remote
> repositories.

Breaking up the inventory is a separate feature from checkpointing, That
certainly *does* help many, if not all, darcs operations, and is the reason
optimize --reorder was implemented.

Checkpointing is something entirely different, involving creating large
patches in the checkpoints/ directory, which are only used by very few
commands.
http://www.darcs.net