[darcs-users] when darcs is slow, it is really really slow

Vigor van Ort vigor.vanort at gmail.com
Fri May 20 15:28:28 UTC 2005

On 5/20/05, Erik Schnetter <schnetter at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
> On Friday 20 May 2005 10:21, Vigor van Ort wrote:
> > Is there any light at the end of the tunnel -- improvements in the
> > works that will address this weakness, or am I destined to maintain
> > two separate SCM systems (darcs for code, something else for
> > translation files)?
>
> If the translation files are autogenerated, then it is not necessary to
> store them as patches and hunks.  In many projects, autogenerated files
> are not even checked into the repository, but are only present in
> distribution tarballs.  (But you might not want to do this.)  Maybe
> tagging them as binary files would help?

As Philipp said, the translation files are actually a mix between
hand-edited material and autogenerated line numbers.  This is
different then say the autoconf scripts where there is a clear
separation between generated files (configure) and source files
(configure.ac)..

In the case of the translation files, they get edited by hand remotely
- which I pull every now and then.  They also get edited locally, when
I fix up spacing and tabbing problems in the translations, and
intermixed with the translation strings are comments stating where in
the source code these strings came from --- those comments are updated
by the gettext tools.

So I can't mark them binary or else I loose track of what changes I've
made locally vs. what's been pulled down from the translators.  My
workflow was to have 3 repos -- one which contained just the snapshots
from the translators.  One that was kept with the source code, where
the scripts would run to pull out new strings and update line numbers.
 And a third which was where I merged the two.  But the long long
merges make that impossible to continue.

I started to import my change sets into another SCM tool, but I ran
into problems getting my changes out of darcs.  "darcs changes" shows
about a dozen changes in the particular repo I decided to move.

For each change I did 'darcs diff -u -p "..." > po.$x' (where $x went
from 1 to about a dozen -- fortunatly the patches were all named
differently, or else I don't know how I'd refer to them).  I figured I
could then import each of these diffs into another SCM and be where I
was with darcs.  But I didn't even make it to diff #2 -- I imported
the first diff which was the initial import to darcs, then I tried to
apply diff #2 but it failed horribly with patch failures in dozens of
spots and some places it complained that the patch must have been
reversed.

Is there a way to pull out a sequential set of diffs from a darcs repo
that I can import into another SCM?

regards,
v.