[darcs-users] failure building 1.0.3

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed May 25 15:53:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 10:10:56AM -0400, Michael Davidson wrote:
> I was able to build 1.0.3rc2 just fine, but after pulling, I now get this:
>
> ---
> [mdavids at bantha]~/src/darcs 42 % ghc --version
> The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.2.1
> [mdavids at bantha]~/src/darcs 43 % gmake
> ghc  -cpp  -package parsec -package unix -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall -Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURL -c Workaround.hs
>
> Workaround.hs:32:
>     Couldn't match `FilePath' against `Bool'
>         Expected type: FilePath
>         Inferred type: Bool
>     In the third argument of `GHC.Handle.openFd', namely `b'
>     In the definition of `openFd':
>         openFd fd x y z a b = GHC.Handle.openFd fd x b y z a
> gmake: *** [Workaround.o] Error 1
> ---
>
> I see in Workaround.hs that this is compensation for a change in the
> openFd API; was this a change in 6.4? I can easily change it back, but I
> want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Is compilation with 6.2.1
> something that darcs will support going forward?

Could you try rerunning configure, just to be sure?  Workaround.hs is
autogenerated by the configure script, so if you ran configure with a
different version of ghc installed, this file may be incorrect.

I'm not sure (since I don't have ghc 6.2.1, and my memory is iffy), but I
seem to recall that this openFd workaround was written before ghc 6.4 was
released.