[darcs-users] [darcs #560] --repodir and relative paths

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Nov 1 13:20:55 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm wondering what everyone thinks the correct behavior should be when
darcs is provided with both --repodir and a relative filepath as
arguments.  The current behavior is to treat the relative filepath as being
relative to the --repodir.  This makes sense for things like

darcs whatsnew --repodir /my/repo filename

where you'd hardly expect it to be looking in the current directory.

It's a little more confusing if we run

cd /my/repo/subdir/; darcs whatsnew --repodir /my/repo filename

in which case we're looking at /my/repo/filename, not
/my/repo/subdir/filename.

It'd much *more* confusing when we consider

cd /my; darcs pull --repodir /my/repo ./other

which tries to pull from /my/repo/other rather than from /my/other

Bug #560 asks that we change this behavior when specifying a second
repository (the last example given here).  I think all three of these
scenarios should be consistent with one another, and am now leaning towards
keeping darcs' existing behavior.

We have a number of tests in the test suite that break when we change this
behavior, which suggests that at least the creators of the test suite
considered this non-buggy behavior.

In any case, I think we should document our behavior when we describe the
--repodir command.
http://www.darcs.net