[darcs-users] darcs and non-ASCII characters

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Nov 6 07:48:05 UTC 2005

    >>> name "outr > \351" is not a valid UTF-8 string.

    Juliusz> Quite the opposite.  It shows that Mac OS X will accept
    Juliusz> arbitrary byte sequences in filenames.  Please do not
    Juliusz> take up a career in experimental science.

This depends on your definition of "OS".  Most people agree that
things running in kernel space are part of the OS, whether or not
they're part of the kernel.

    >>> This doesn't explain why the first "touch" works but the
    >>> latter not.

    Juliusz> The first touch works, because on Mac OS X filenames are
    Juliusz> arbitrary sequences of bytes.

I would say that on Mac OS X (and Linux and pretty much any modern
system with loadable file system drivers) the set of allowable
filenames is nondeterministic.  I think that's the relevant
consideration for Darcs design.