[darcs-users] darcsweb 0.12 and some questions

Zachary P. Landau kapheine at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 03:51:37 UTC 2005

> I just wanted to let you know that I've tagged darcsweb 0.12. You can get
> it with "darcs get http://auriga.wearlab.de/~alb/repos/darcsweb".

Thanks, I just upgraded.  (btw, "darcs pull -a" is a nice update procedure :P)

You can add mine if you'd like: http://divineinvasion.net/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi

> The second question is about configuration: let's imagine that you have 20
> repositories in a single directory, so you use a multidir entry in
> darcsweb to avoid configuring all by hand, but you would also like to have
> a different description for each one: would it be
> clean/nice/polite/appropiate to put it under _darcs/prefs/description, or
> maybe create _darcs/darcsweb/description? Or is it better to do it in a
> different way?
>
> What is the recommended policy regarding the use of the _darcs directory
> for "third-party" applications like darcsweb?

I was thinking about this possibility earlier.  Personally, I would
find it very useful.  It'd be much easier to just do a "darcs put"
rather than having to edit files on my remote server.  Currently I
have a script I wrote that allows me to run 'add-repository' and
handle the creation of the config files and whatnot, but if I could
simplify this into a single put it would be great.

As far as adding third-party information to _darcs, I don't know how
people feel about that.  Personally, I don't see it as a big deal,
although it MAY be a good idea to keep it in darcsweb/ so that we
never see conflicts with newer versions of darcs.

That being said, it might not be the worst idea of darcs did have the
concept of a repository description.  I could see that being useful
when you have some long-lived branches and you want a way to describe
them in more depth than the directory name can.

--
Zachary P. Landau <kapheine at gmail.com>