[darcs-users] Doesn't the _darcs dir bug you?

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Fri Nov 11 13:22:09 UTC 2005

Am Donnerstag, 10. November 2005 17:46 schrieb Richard A. Smith:
> Albert Reiner wrote:
> [...]

> Since I have a lot of stuff in windows just changing from _darcs to
> .darcs* won't change anything.  You would actually have to mark the
> directory as hidden.

I made the naming convention .darcs* with POSIX in mind.  The intention was to
make the darcs directory hidden.  So under Windows, the "hidden" flag should
be set.

> I don't see that as really worth the effort to try and maintain that across
> all platforms darcs supports.

What platform you can think about which is neither Windows nor POSIX
compatible?

> [...]

> I think a proper directory structure is a better answer.  Perhaps it
> should be added to the "Best Practices" on the wiki.

Maybe the user shouldn't be forced to use a proper directory structure for
his/her source tree but darcs should use a "proper directory structure",
meaning that darcs init shouldn't modify the source tree by adding a
directory to it but should store its repository meta-information elsewhere.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang