[darcs-users] Synchronizing repos with unison

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon Nov 14 18:42:21 UTC 2005

>> The golden rule is to always sync the entire _darcs directory in
>> one direction.  If you've pulled different patches into the two
>> copies of the repo and then try to merge them, you'll probably end
>> up with corruption. Apart from that, it should be fine.

> This makes sense, thanks for your answer. I will update the wiki
> along these lines.

Please don't.  (I'm the author of the current wording.)

While it is possible to use Unison for synchronising Darcs
repositories if you really know what you're doing, it is also possible
to cause unfixable repository corruption.  Unlike rsync, Unison copies
both ways, so it's actually easy to corrupt both copies with it.

We've put a lot of effort into ensuring that Darcs doesn't cause
corruption, and right now I'm fairly confident that any corruption
that Darcs causes can be easily fixed.  Please use Darcs itself for
synchronising repositories.

                                        Juliusz