[darcs-users] Changing _darcs

Daniel Burrows Daniel_Burrows at alumni.brown.edu
Tue Nov 15 01:10:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 07:42:35PM -0500, Lst Recv <listrecv at gmail.com> was heard to say:
> Is there anyway I could put a "." in front of my _darcs dir?  I'd like
> to do this so that it is not included by default when I run tools.
>
> Examples of problems I am having from this:
>
> grep -r [function_name] *
> rdoc --> generated docs on all of the _darcs copies
> and, the worst:
>
> I corrupted my darcs repo by running find -type f | xargs perl -i -p
> -e 's/\r//g' to remove the carriage returns out of the source
> files!!!! Forgot about those darcs .gz's!!!!  BTW, anything I can do
> to repair it?

  Regardless of anything else, you should be aware that having _darcs in a
dotted directory wouldn't actually help you here:

daniel at jester:/tmp/foo$ mkdir .baz
daniel at jester:/tmp/foo$ echo blah > .baz/a
daniel at jester:/tmp/foo$ find
.
./.baz
./.baz/a
daniel at jester:/tmp/foo$ grep -r blah .
./.baz/a:blah

  Most tools need extra arguments to ignore dotted directories, in which
case you could just tell them to ignore _darcs too.

  Daniel