[darcs-users] Leaving certain files different

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Tue Nov 15 10:36:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 03:47:31PM -0500, Lst Recv wrote:
> Thanks for your help, everyone.
>
> David - I'm a bit confused.  The manual for darcs remove says:
>  Be aware that the file WILL be deleted from any other copy of the
> repo to which you later apply the patch.
>
> I don't want to delete it, neither on my machine or on any other
> repository.  Just to tell darcs to ignore it, don't track it, forget
> about.  This is primarily for config files (esp. with passwords), but
> also for logs, autogenerated files, etc.  They should not be
> *deleted*, just not *tracked*.
>
> Tommy - will that work if I've already done a darcs record?

Now I've read your initial question more carefully, sorry for
leading astray at first.  Messing with _darcs/patches/pending
is only good for unrecorded changes.

'darcs remove file' will create a patch in pending, that when
recorded removes the file from pristine, without removing
it from working, which is exactly what you want. However,
when this patch is pulled/pushed somewhere, it _will_ remove
the file from the working dir in the target repo, which is
_not_ what you want. I don't think there is a convenient way
around this problem yet.  You'll have to remove the patches
that adds the config file (and the history of it) in every
repo manually.  First unrecord the patch that creates the
config file.  That will bring the patch to pending.  Then use
'darcs remove' to cancel the addfile from pending (as David
suggested -- I was unaware of this feature) but leaves the
file intact in working.