[darcs-users] Programmatic invocation

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 11:10:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 11:50:09PM +0100, Daniel Lutz wrote:
> I prefer the stdin/stdout/stderr approach over the "special interface
> approach" because
> - A simple command-line based interface is a good thing for _every_
> external tool (shell, python, perl, awk, ...)
> - It is much simpler to develop and debug if the user interface and the
> programmatic interface are the same
> - A loose binding between darcs and the external tools simplify things
> when working with several program versions and when distributing
> programs.

A well thought out stdin/stdout/stderr interface would allow to do
many interesting things. For example, it would allow to control a remote
darcs over an SSH connection. It could be used to optimize the way
darcs performs operations on ssh connections, replacing the current mix
of sftp and remote darcs invocations.

Best regards
Tomasz