[darcs-users] How to make branches.

Albert Reiner areiner at tph.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Nov 26 19:59:52 UTC 2005

[Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera at zmsl.com>, Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:37:52 +0000]:
> >>I use Thunderbird. If someone emails me a patch the way the
> >>instructions suggest, I wouldn't know what to do with it.
> > Save it to a file, and use it with `darcs apply`.
>
> Oh, good, thanks. How do I save it to a file? I guess I could look for
> the patch in foo/_darcs/patches. Is that the best way? I hope that's
> not an RTFM question, I did look at the FM :)

Maybe the FM of Thunderbird: If someone mails you a patch (or a
patchbundle, i.e., the output of `darcs send`) it will most likely be
as an attachment.  Probably there is some way to save the attachment -
possibly by right-clicking on something, or using some menu item (but
I don't know Thunderbird).

I don't think that the contents of foo/_darcs/patches (or most things
under foo/_darcs/, with the exception of foo/_darcs/prefs/) should be
messed with by users.  Just save the file somewhere else (e.g., /tmp),
`darcs apply` it, and throw it away.

HTH,

Albert.