[darcs-users] How to make branches.

Daniel Burrows Daniel_Burrows at alumni.brown.edu
Sat Nov 26 20:07:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 07:37:52PM +0000, Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera at zmsl.com> was heard to say:
> Albert Reiner wrote:
> >>* Will `cp -r foo/ bar/` create a branch?
> >>* If I scp or ftp foo/ to another computer, will that
> >>create a branch?
> >
> >Yes, and yes.  Every repo is independent of every other
> >one.
> >
> >If all the changes are recorded, `darcs get` might be more
> >convenient:
> >
> >    darcs get foo bar
>
> Thanks. The reason why I was asking about plain copy is
> because I might want to put a branch on a server that
> doesn't have Darcs installed. I guess that would work
> alright as long as I'm the only developer...

  The way I do it is by using darcs to manage a repository on my computer,
and using rsync (with --delete) to place it on a public server.  Other
people who work on the project have their own trees and send me patches
using "darcs send" (I could also pull from their trees if they're public).

> >>I use Thunderbird. If someone emails me a patch the way
> >>the
> >>instructions suggest, I wouldn't know what to do with it.
> >
> >Save it to a file, and use it with `darcs apply`.
>
> Oh, good, thanks. How do I save it to a file? I guess I
> could look for the patch in foo/_darcs/patches. Is that the
> best way? I hope that's not an RTFM question, I did look at
> the FM :)

  Just save it to any file, say "/tmp/thepatch", 'cd' to the repository,
and do "darcs apply /tmp/thepatch".  You can also pipe it to "darcs apply"
on standard input.

  Daniel