[darcs-users] P2P repository

Thiago Arrais thiago.arrais at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 19:08:56 UTC 2005

2005/11/26, Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang at jeltsch.net>:
> With darcs, patches don't need to be uploaded to a central server.  Using a
> centralized server is just one possible darcs usage pattern.  Today, you
> already can push your patches to and pull from wherever you want.

Indeed. But that is what I think is the most supported usage pattern.
At least is the one advocated on the manual and the easiest one to get
going.

Patches are potentially duplicated on several hosts and,
conseqüentely, don't need to be downloaded from a unique location. I
think we could give some support for more distributed usages.
Something like a repo address poiting to some kind of 'tracker' (just
to use a known bittorrent term). Or maybe using a mail list to
distribute the 'darcs send' patch bundles (although this one wouldn't
really be a real P2P approach, in my opinion).

I am very interested on the mechanisms used by the Arch developers
that Stephen cited some posts above. There was also a discussion some
time ago on this list on which some people listed some very good
ideas. It starts here

http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-July/002519.html

For the ones interested, I have also gathered some other links to this
discussion at this site:

http://thiagoarrais.no-ip.org/chaos/ControleVersaoP2P

(The page is in portuguese. The ones that don't speak portuguese can
do a quick search for 'darcs-users' to find the links)

Regards,

Thiago Arrais