[darcs-users] not answering to Shall I record this patch

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Oct 4 15:49:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 03:42:50PM +0200, Andrei A. Voropaev wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 02:53:47PM +0200, Albert Reiner wrote:
> > ["Andrei A. Voropaev" <av at simcon-mt.com>, Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:48:44 +0200]:
> > See the capitalized W?
> >
> > > Shall I record this patch? (1/1) [ynWsfqadjk], or ? for help:
> > --------------------------------------^
> >
> > So hitting return was like answering w.
>
> Ok. Then why it didn't finish working. Why did I have to hit Ctrl-C? Or
> was it waiting till I change my mind? :) I mean, I expected some
> reaction to my input, and there was none. Simply hanging.

Darcs didn't hang, it continued waiting for input.  If you had hit 'q',
'h', etc, darcs would have responded fine.

This behavior dates from when darcs switched (a long time ago) away from
using a line-buffered interface.  I set it to ignore newlines so that users
who typed "y\ny\n" like they were used to wouldn't accidentally execute
commands they didn't intend.  I don't think there's any longer a good
reason to continue this behavior.  We should just treat '\n' as an
unrecognized command.