[darcs-users] Using darcs over SSH with more then one user

Jason Dagit dagit at eecs.oregonstate.edu
Thu Oct 6 21:07:40 UTC 2005

On Oct 6, 2005, at 1:55 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

> zooko at zooko.com wrote:
>
>>> For write access i'm not really sure what i should do...
>>>
>> I suggest that you turn it around -- instead of giving developer X
>> write access
>> to your repo, you instead arrange for you to have read access to
>> his repo, and
>> you pull from it regularly.
>>

> That's indeed a possibility.. Maybe i could set up a mailinglist
> for the
> developers to send and receive patches..
> But i'm not entirely sure that i like the feeling that the 'official'
> repository completely depends on me to receive it's patches. This
> would
> mean that there would be no updates to that repo if i'm away for a few
> weeks..
> On the other side... For the devs this wouldn't be a problem because
> they would receive the patches through the mailinglist. So it would
> only
>  matter for non-dev people that want to try out the latest code.
>
> How do other projects do this?

Since you ask how other groups do this...

In our case we all have accounts on the server, a copy (the
"official" copy) of the repo resides in my homedir with permissions
set so that anyone can modify the files (you have to decide if that's
okay given your scenario).  I use a post apply script to update the
permissions to maintain read/write permissions (think would could
happen if someone pushed with a really weird umask).

In _darcs/prefs/defaults
apply posthook-command chmod -R a+rw <insert path to repo>* 2>/dev/null
apply run-posthook

I use the absolute path of the repo, but a path relative to the top
level of the repo should work too.  The manual has some documentation
about this as well.

I hope this helps.  David helped me write the post apply hooks code.
It works great for the simple cases that my group uses it for, but it
would be interesting to hear how it works for others.

I'm not sure which version of darcs this appears in, 1.0.4 will have
it, but I don't think that is out yet.  Try a release candidate.

HTH,
Jason