[darcs-users] Conflict marking

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sat Oct 8 12:54:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 11:15:09AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Thomas> What we could do is the following;
>
> Thomas> V V V V V V  [local]
> Thomas> foo
> Thomas> *********** [2005foo - the full name of the patch that holds \
> Thomas> the next part]
> Thomas> bar
> Thomas> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

One issue is that in general each section of the marking doesn't come from
a single patch, it's the result of a sequence of patches.  We could just
mention the "last one", or perhaps even "any one of the patches that lead
to that version".

> That's the Interface That Users Demand[tm], but is it clear that we
> can _implement_ that?

I think that with the new conflictors, we should be able to do so, although
it could be a bit of a pain.

It might be possible to hack this into the current code, but it would be
very difficult (for technical reasons regarding how mergers are
implemented), and I think it'll be much better to spend the effort on
conflictors.

> [...] If the latter, it's quite possible that the conflict region is now
> in a state that the user will never have seen before!  In that case
> "local" is a lie.

Indeed, both versions presented may be in states that no user has ever seen
before, but I still think we're not too hosed.  [local] just means that
"local changes would have led to this version."
http://www.darcs.net