[darcs-users] Conflict marking

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Oct 11 04:45:10 UTC 2005

    David> Indeed, both versions presented may be in states that no
    David> user has ever seen before, but I still think we're not too
    David> hosed.  [local] just means that "local changes would have
    David> led to this version."

If no user has ever seen them, it's likely that labelling it "local"
will be of no help to the user in figuring out which is which without
doing the careful semantic analysis.

Also, AFAICT there doesn't need to be any local version of the
conflict at all---eg, with the proposed "darcs pull repo1 ... repoN"
feature.  But the merge code won't know that unless it keeps track of
all previous patches (which it may have to do anyway, if so add source
patch information to the tracking data and we're golden; but it sounds
dubious from your other comments).