[darcs-users] darcs push method over CGI

Durand Miller clutter at djm.co.za
Tue Oct 11 07:06:56 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've been playing around with darcs and would like to implement a CGI-based
end-point to which darcs could push.

I have webhosting which allows PHP, CGI and cron but not SSH access. So,
installing darcs and invoking it over ssh is not an option.  However, after
hooking into the DARCS_APPLY_HTTP environment variable, I realised that it
might be possible to communicate with a darcs binary via a rather simple CGI
or PHP page.

As far as I can tell, the difference in output between a push and a send is
the order of the "Context" and "New Patches" section along with the email
output containing a patch bundle hash. I also noticed that darcs does not
seem to be able to apply the push output from the command line; you can only
apply email patch formats.  (is that true?)

Because I want some level of interactivity (ie, the way a fairly normal push
would work), it seems better to modify the push output to resemble the email
patch output and invoke the remote darcs binary with that.   The only
problems then are reversing section order and creating a patch bundle hash
manually. (is the hash necessary?)

That's really it.  It seems relatively easy to me but I've had limited
experience with darcs and perhaps it needs more. Is what I'm proposing
feasible?  Is there more that I have to take into account?

Durand Miller.