[darcs-users] Conflict marking

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Thu Oct 13 15:01:38 UTC 2005

[just grabbing a mail in the thread, not replying to
specifically]

I just had one of these hard-to-understand conflicts today;
hard in that I had changed one aspect of the code some
time ago and someone else changed another aspect of the
same code in a patch I pulled, but I didn't remember/know
what these particular changes in the conflict were about --
I missed the valuable info in the corresponding patch names.
The output of 'darcs changes -s' showed one of the patches, and
'darcs annotate -p that_patch the_file' revealed the other.
After that I knew how to merge.  It was technically a very
simple conflict though: just two hunks modifying the same
lines, so the marked blocks _could_ have been labeled with
patch names.

But what I come to think of was that _every line comes from
a patch_, shown by 'darcs annotate'.  So if everything else
fails, what about an --annotate option to 'darcs resolve',
that uses the output of annotate for the lines between the
conflict markers.  Yes, ugly!, but the output of annotate
will hopefully change into a more readable format some day.