[darcs-users] rmfile and addfile in same patch

Nimrod A. Abing nimrod.abing at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:41:29 UTC 2005

On 10/19/05, David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:
> Hi Nimrod,
>
> I've just taken a look at your repository (and then at the email thread),
> and I think I know what happened.
>
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 11:03:42PM +0800, Nimrod A. Abing wrote:
> > The repo *was* on a windows machine. I tarballed the repo and moved it
> > to one running Linux. acl.php is supposed to be ACL.php and the thing
> > broke because of the filename case difference so I mv'ed acl.php to
> > ACL.php and then recorded it as a patch.
>
> Here's where the trouble must have shown up.  The file never was named
> acl.php (it was ACL.php all along, as far as darcs is concerned).  However,
> either the windows tar program or the windows filesystem (which isn't
> case-sensitive) must have decided to name the file to acl.php in the
> tarball.  When you untarred that tarball, you had a corrupt pristine cache
> and working directory, since the file had the wrong case.  If at that time
> you had run darcs check, darcs would have recognized the problem.  Instead
> you (quite understandably) renamed the acl.php file to ACL.php, which
> caused trouble because there was already an ACL.php file in the repo, and
> there was no acl.php file in the repo.

This is mostly accurate description of what happened. I was using
Windows originally with a Cygwin environment to run darcs. Before I
made the switch to Linux, I tarred the entire repo using the cygwin
tar command. I think it's a combination of Windows Case-insensitive
Filesystem + some cygwin tar quirks that caused this problem.

Thanks for checking it out. I will try to repair it with the solution
you have suggested.

I hope darcs will be able to gracefully handle something like this in
the future. I find the need to switch between windows and Linux from
time to time. In the meantime, I'll just have to be careful that it
doesn't happen again.
--
_nimrod_a_abing_

v1sw5CPJYUhw5ln3pr8OUSck6ma8u7LBw3DWNTm5g/l7DaIs7Rr4e6t5Xb4Op1en3g5RZAHC